This course has been designed especially for young individuals who want to acquire Soft Skills including Communication Skills; leading to or resulting into personal effectiveness at the globally accepted beginner/basic level. Ensuring job readiness or workplace readiness for an effective and successful professional, social and personal life!
- Helps the learner imbibe communication skills necessary for job success with an exposure to verbal, non-verbal and written communication in various contextual situations in day-to-day life as well as the skills needed for personal effectiveness for successful job-readiness; with continuous practice and drills through eLearning to ensure accuracy.
- Offers an exposure to soft skills and personal effectiveness skills in job / workplace situations involving thought-provoking exercises with a continuous practice through eLearning so as to make him/her job-ready and attain job success eventually.
Objectives of Syllabus
Research conducted by the Harvard University, the Carnegie Foundation and the Stanford Research Center has concluded that 85% of job success comes from having well-developed soft skills and people skills, and only 15% of job success comes from technical skills and knowledge (hard) skills.
In view of this, the syllabus and the learning experiences of Personality Development course have been framed with a goal to ensure the learner’s attainment of Soft Skills including Communication Skills; leading to or resulting into personal effectiveness at the globally accepted beginner/basic level.
‘Job Success’ indicates not just success in acquisition at the first place but job retention as well. Job readiness is the first step towards job acquisition. Hence, the course aims at ensuring job readiness or workplace readiness of the learner.
Further, in addition to job success, the course aims at ensuring attainment of Personal Effectiveness for a sound personal, social and professional life.
Following objectives of the syllabus are set:
- To help the learner internalize communication skills necessary for job success with an exposure to verbal, non-verbal and written communication in various contextual situations in daily life as well as the skills needed for personal effectiveness for successful job-readiness; with continuous practice and drills through eLearning for ensuring accuracy.
- To offer an exposure to soft skills and personal effectiveness skills in job / workplace situations involving thought-provoking exercises with a continuous practice through eLearning so as to make him/her job-ready and attain job success eventually.
Parity with International Standards
Soft Skills and Communication Skills
Curriculum for Soft Skills is at par with following national and international standards for Soft Skills and Life Skills.
- National Skills Qualification Framework: Employability and Entrepreneurship: MODULAR EMPLOYABLE SKILLS (MES) / SKILL DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE SCHEME (SDIS) Skills”
- Workplace Employability Skills (ARIZONA CTE CAREER PREPARATION STANDARDS & MEASUREMENT CRITERIA)
- City & Guilds: Skills for Work and Life
- European Qualification Framework
List of Skills / Competencies in Syllabus
Strategies: Soft Skills, Communication Skills & Skills necessary for Personal Effectiveness
There has been a lot of research done at international level in internalization of soft skills including communication skills. Lot of emphasis has been given on self-actualization and self-development skills. Being sensitive to oneself, others, society and the nature is found to be the core competency in attaining soft skills.
In view of this, following strategies are adopted in designing syllabus of soft skills including communication skills:
- Exposure to various situations from personal, professional and social life of an individual demonstrating use of soft skills as against lack of them.
- Detailed analysis of situations so as to help the learner relate to his/her own personal /professional /social life
- Emphasis on being sensitive towards self, others, society and nature
- Emphasis on personal effectiveness to successfully meet varied workplace situations for fresher’s
- Focus on activities to help learners internalize and practice communication skills, soft skills and skills for job-readiness
Following soft skills are included in the syllabus:
|1||Psychology of success|
|2||Self-Awareness and Self-Acceptance|
|5||Collaboration and Cooperation|
|7||Smart Goal Setting|
|9||Problem Solving (Conflict Management)|
|12||Ethics & Values|
|13||Being Sensitive towards others, Society & nature|
Following Communication Skills necessary for job success are included in the syllabus:
|5||Communication within a Group|
|6||Social Skills (Diversity)|
|10||Technology Mediated Communication|
1.1 Skills for Personal Effectiveness
Following Skills necessary for ensuring Personal Effectiveness for job success are included in the syllabus:
|Skills of Personal Effectiveness for Job-Readiness|
|8||Being innovative in 21st Century|
|9||Interview Preparation & Appearing for an Interview|
- Should have appeared for Secondary School Certification (SSC) or equivalent examination with English as one of the languages.
- Should have a keen desire and interest to learn Communications skills and soft skills for job readiness.
- Should be physically fit to attend the course and perform hands-on practice in normal conditions w.r.t. hearing, seeing.
- Should have no physical disability to listen, speak, converse, read and write.
- Should be able to use keyboard, mouse, ear phones / headphones and understand the terms such as clicking, scrolling, recording, etc. and perform these basic actions correctly.
- Our lives are driven by Technology. Be it any field, technology is inevitable. As the technology advances, it creates demand in every field. We need special skill set for professional as well as personal life.
- Soft Skills are needed to survive in the changing times. If practiced, could make you an efficient individual.
- The course promotes vital skills like personal competence, interpersonal relations, understanding, communication skills and self-help tools. Also has Professional skills like presentation skills, time management, decision making, workplace ethics, conflict management, stress management and customer relationship management.
A) YCMOU Mark Sheet will be provided based on the below evaluation pattern:
- Evaluation Pattern: Total 100 Marks
- Passing Criterion: Separate passing in Sections 1, 2 and 3 by scoring at least 40% marks in each section i.e. minimum 10 marks in Section 1 & 2 and minimum 20 marks in Section 3. So total minimum marks required are 40.
- YCMOU Mark Sheet: Printed Mark Sheet will be issued by YCMOU on successful completion of Section 1, Section 2 and Section 3 and will be delivered to the learner by MKCL.
B) MKCL Certificate will be provided to the learner who will satisfy the below criteria:
- Learners who have successfully completed above mentioned 3 Sections i.e. Section 1, Section 2 and Section 3
- Additionally, learner should have completed Section 4 (i.e. Section 4 will comprise of SUPWs i.e. Socially Useful and Productive Work in form of Assignments)
Learning methodology for a learner comprises of the following actions:
- Going through eLearning sessions.
- Solving activities, interactivities and exercises in eContent.
- Solving assignments and creating Processfolios.
- Discuss difficulties with learning facilitator and with peers.